I really enjoyed meeting everyone at the Swift Chennai Meetup in India over a week ago. Shaul Hameed talked about Google's Federated Machine Learning initiative, which sounds amazing and leaves a lot of catching up for Apple to do in the field 🏎
Swift 4.1 Release Process
"Swift 4.1 is not binary compatible with 4.0. It contains a variety of under-the-hood changes that are part of the effort to stabilize the Swift ABI in Swift 5."
It will, however, still be source compatible with Swift 4.0.
Face Tracking with ARKit
You don't have to wait until WWDC to get great Apple Videos on how to work with
ARKit. Check out this Apple video to learn how your app can detect the position, topology, and expression of the user's face, all with high accuracy and in real time. Oh, and live selfie effects for building 3D characters are also included 💩🤳
Swift Around the Web
What Stats and Surveys are saying about Swift in 2017
Love seeing Swift as a top 5 most-loved language and high in other ratings (for a new language). As @guydaher mentions, good ratings mean a growing community, which means more frameworks, features, tools, and creativity overall 💛
Moving Safety into Types
Great architecture tip for how to Swift-ily move safety checks to one place and make your code both safe and pretty at the same time 😍
The Swift Algorithms Book (now updated for Swift 4.0!)
With new essays, more code, extended content and full support for Swift 4.0, the latest Swift Algorithms Book blends modern code, illustrations and computer science to help you pass the interview or build your next app. Perfect for the classroom or the office, the book takes a fresh approach to explain concepts that power search engines, databases and social networks. Use discount code "THEROBOT" at checkout to receive 20% off.
SwiftFest 2017 Conference - November 29 & 30, Boston
Interested in taking your Swift skills to the next level while networking with fellow community members? Join us at SwiftFest 2017 to experience an incredible mix of keynote presentations, sessions and workshops that make up this year's agenda. Register today using the promo code SWIFT1 to receive a 10% discount off the advertised ticket price!
Synthesize Equatable/Hashable for complex enums, structs by allevato
Big thx to @tony_allevato for the hard work on getting SE-0185: Synthesizing Equatable and Hashable conformance implemented most likely for Swift 4.1 coming in Spring 2018. Much needed 🙏
Behind the Magic: How we built the ARKit Sudoku Solver
"Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple." -Steve Jobs
Well, that's an understatement in this case! Amazing article about the work and unforeseen obstacles it takes to create an amazingly seamless "it just works"
ARKit experience 👏👏👏
- ImagineEngine - A project to create a blazingly fast Swift game engine that is a joy to use 🚀
- ViewAnimator - ViewAnimator brings your UI to life with just one line
- Default - Modern interface to UserDefaults + Codable support
- ScreenType - Easily distinguish between iPhone models in Objective-C and Swift. Blog post here.
- Difference - Simple way to identify whats different between 2 instances.
- Cards - Awesome iOS 11 AppStore's Card Views.
Don't miss these amazing try! Swift NYC talks 🤓
- Server-side Swift Using Vapor by @tanner0101
- Modern RxSwift Architectures by @KrunoslavZaher
- Improving Swift Tools with libSyntax by @harlanhaskins
- Creating Rich Custom UI Notifications by @thedevme
Xcode: Who’s to Blame?
A good reminder about how much wording in your app matters. What might start out as a funny joke at the time, might have dire consequences down the line...
💻 Swift Full Time
- iOS Engineer (mid level / senior) @ ottonova - Munich, Germany
- Senior iOS Developer @ Revolut - London, Moscow, St. Petersburg
- Senior iOS Engineer at @ Juvo Mobile - San Francisco, CA