I love seeing the excitement around Swift growing stronger on a daily basis. So many new leaders, new meetups, new libraries, new blog posts. Less than 2 months after WWDC14, there is a huge community forming around Swift. It really is a magical time to be an iOS developer.
Most importantly, I love seeing Apple really opening up to let Swift take off. A few months ago, could you have imagined that Apple would open up their WWDC Videos to the public, provide the XCode Beta download for non-Apple developers, release a constantly updated book, and have a Blog? Incredible!
With that note, here are all the exciting things happening in Swift this week:
Swift Around the Web
Swift is really picking up steam with developers around the web. So many great blog posts this week. Enjoy!
- Facets of Swift: Optionals, Tuples, Values and References
- NSHipster on Swift Documentation
- Mike Ash on Exploring Swift Memory Layout
- Swift - 53 Days Later
- Swift is a great first language for beginners
- Stacks & Queues in Swift
- Swift and Internal Access as Default
- Apple UI design is back home
- Objective-C Prefixes: A Thing of the Past?
- Working at being lazy
- Swift’s var is not Objective-C’s id
... official from Apple
I love listenening to Podcasts on my way to work. Here are few great podcasts about Swift and iOS8 I enjoyed this week:
These just keep getting cooler and cooler!
- PKHUD - A Swift based reimplementation of the Apple HUD (Volume, Ringer, Rotation,…) for iOS 8.
- HGWActivityButton - A UIButton subclass with a custom, built-in activity indicator
- CharacterText - UILabel subclass to perform text effects
- AHKBendableView - UIView subclass that bends its edges when its position changes.
- SwiftSingleton - An exploration of the Singleton pattern in Swift
- Snappy - A light-weight layout framework which wraps AutoLayout with a nicer syntax
Want to get started with Swift, but don't know how? Here are some really fun tutorials to get you playing:
In Case You Missed It
For those who accidentally forgot to check my blog this week ;)
Random Cool Stuff
So the most exciting thing I did this weekend was create an official Swift Folder - thanks @carlosicaza for posting the png. Here are the instructions for changing your folder icon (didn't even know this was possible!). Isn't it beautiful?